Sunday, February 17, 2013

Dairy-Free Pesto


I love pesto, however, I am not a huge fan of the taste of olive oil and I am allergic to milk, thus I can not have cheese. So I experimented with coconut oil and omitted the cheese.  I loved how it turned out and I've already made some fun, tasty dishes with it :) 

Pesto
Makes approx. 2/3 cup

Ingredients: basil, nutsgarlic cloves, salt, pepper, coconut oil, olive oil, and lemon juice {optional}

In a food processor place:
• 1 cup basil {compacted/pushed down}
• 1/2 cup nuts {I used my soaked and dehydrated almonds and macadamia nuts; pine nuts and walnuts are also great for pestos}
• 2-3 garlic cloves
• 1/3 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper 
• 1/4 cup melted coconut oil {can sub olive oil} 
•2-4 Tbsp olive oil {can sub coconut oil :) }
• 2-3 Tbsp lemon juice {optional}

Pulse together until well blended and creamy

*Optional: Add1/2 cup Parmesan or Romano cheese
*Store in the fridge or the freezer

Then have fun creating meals with your pesto. You can create pastas, pizzas, or a Mushroom Cauliflower Bun Pesto Stack like me :)