Thursday, March 21, 2013

Buckwheat Waffles


My brother is in town, so I made him these Buckwheat Waffles. My mom and I have been making these for years now.  I haven't eaten them for a few months now since I gave up grains, but I sure do love these!  You can't even taste the buckwheat. I used to just toast them in the toaster oven and eat them plain.  Also since the grains are soaked, they are easier to digest.

Buckwheat Waffles
Makes 3-4 large waffles

Ingredients: buckwheat, kefir {or alternative: almond milk, coconut milk, yogurt}, coconut oil or ghee {butter}, vanilla extract, eggs, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt

Place in a blender:
• 1 1/2 cup kefir {or alternative}
• 2 Tbsp coconut oil {or butter}
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 1 cup buckwheat grains or 1 1/2 cup buckwheat flour

Blend for a few minutes and then let sit covered for several hours at room temperature. {Not mandatory, but allows the grains to be easier to digest}

Then add to batter:
• 2 tsp baking powder
• 1/2 tsp baking soda
• 1/2-1 tsp salt
• 1-2 eggs {I like two eggs because it makes them fluffier}

Blend until everything is well incorporated.

Add a little bit of water if batter is too thick.

Pour batter into a heated and oiled  waffle iron.

Then enjoy your waffles with maple syrup, honey, butter, almond butter, simple homemade blueberry sauce, or however you like your waffles!

*I usually double the recipe and freeze the extras.  They do great when heated up in the toaster.